Friday, June 20, 2008

FAMILY


Today, I just have to give great praise to the family I have in my life. My in-laws who have always been there, thank you. And today, my brother and sister-in-law. Today, I give you two all my love and all my thanks for being my family and really coming through as a family should when it counts. Tomorrow is my 30th birthday. To be quite honest I haven't really been looking forward to this birthday at all. I don't know why this one is so different and why I am struggling with this one. Maybe it is because at 30 I am wondering what exactly have I accomplished in my life. Thanks to my mother-in-law, I was reminded of how far my marriage has come in the last 8 years and the last 6 years I have been blessed with 2 children. Those are great accomplishments. Both my husband and I feel like this is the turning point in our lives. We have made some costly mistakes and what not in the past, and now we feel we have been placed where we are for a reason in a situation with ample opportunity to forever change our lives. That I give all my thanks to God, and for my family of course. Now that I have strayed some-what from my original reason to post this blog, I will get back to that. As I have stated, my brother and sis-in-law really came through for me today. At the beginning of the week they told me they couldn't come the BBQ being held today for my husband and I to celebrate our 30th. Work schedules couldn't be changed. So they would come tomorrow. I was a little bummed, but I know they stick to their word and they would be here for my actual b-day. Well, this morning, I received a call from my mother saying that something last minute with my dad's job came up and they too would not be there. This news I took much harder and more personal. If any of you know my background and the struggles I have had in this area, you would know why this one upset me the most. Although growing up I was always taught that family always comes first, I also came to understand that there was a disclaimer attached (unspoken of course, but never-the-less, it was always there); work came first also. So this morning, in my eyes, once again, work got in the way without any regard to my feelings. I was told they would be here tomorrow, but I soon found out that I wouldn't be home all day because of some plans made for me weeks in advance (of course I don't know the details).

Now to my praise. My sis-in-law got the news right after I called my brother and told him. She got pretty upset (keep in mind she lives around my folks and sees a lot) and said that she wasn't going to let me have this BBQ w/o my side of the family there. So she called in sick for today and they are packing everything up and will be here for the BBQ and my day tomorrow! Right now there are not enough words for me to express my gratitude to them and how much this means to me. I'm tearing up even thinking about it now. And thanks for their quickness of pulling through when it matters, my mom will also be here (she's riding with them). I am sad that my dad won't be here today. I do know that what came up with the job was out of his hands, but if it were me and my children, believe me, I'd move the world. Don't get me wrong, I love my folks, they did an awesome job and I thank them. Everyone has their quirks though and now that I'm getting older, I'm finding what "I" believe in and what really matters to me. Family, and the little intricacies that come with them, no matter what, I will always do my darnedest to be there when it counts.

3 comments:

phil said...

Great post. You are incredibly strong and please don't think for a second that what you have done up to this point in your life is anything short of heroic and life-changing. You are an amazing wife, mother, and friend. I love you dearly and wish you a wonderful day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

30 looks GREAT on you, inside and out. The party was great and made better because most of your family came. We love you and are happy that now we can celebrate all of these occasions together, not apart.
Good 1ce as ever was

SPARKY said...

thank you for being so candid. it takes guts to put it all out there and i'm glad you did. i give big props to katie. she's a keeper for sure. i've always really liked her. there is something inately good about her. you can trust her and now we see why. she understand loyalty and committment and the value of family/time. the bbq was fun and i'm glad you have finally stepped over to the dark side (what i like to call the thirties). just teasin. these have been my favorite years so far. there's something accomplished about reaching your thirties:O)it's like you are officially an adult...soooooo, stand up straight, act your age, no more screwin around, quit that silliness !!!
ok, now i'm just going too far
love ya
btw...had a great time on the trip with ya